As the world evolves, the realm of sports has grown into a worldwide phenomenon. Nowadays, some form of sport is played in each and every corner of the world, all the way from Hawaii to Hong Kong. Today, we will take a look at some of the most popular sports that are played around the world, and enjoy a massive following.
The way we consume sports content has changed rapidly over the years and that has modified the sporting scene as well. Modern sports are much more glitzy and engaging than their vintage counterparts. We do not have to mandatorily visit a stadium to witness our favorite footballer play live when we can just tune in and watch stuff like the Europa league live score on our smartphones. So, the most viewed sports events on the planet are
- Football- One sport that triumphs over all else in terms of popularity, and reaches, is arguably football. The sport is played all over the world and on each and every continent except Antarctica. By football, we are referring to association football and not American football. Although there are multiple variants of football that are played, it is the association format of football that has garnered the most popularity. Football originated in Great Britain in an organized manner and was then exported to other countries. Nowadays, the international football scene is regulated by FIFA (International Federation for Association Football) and is officially played by 209 countries.
The flagship event of the football calendar is the World Cup, which is played once every four years and is an occasion that unifies people from all walks of life under the banner of football. The next most popular tournament in football is the European tournaments, namely the UEFA Champions League, and the UEFA Europa League. These tournaments enjoy a worldwide audience where there are viewers from almost every country in the world. A lot of people visit the stadiums physically whereas a large number of fans follow the games through live updates, like Europa league live scores, etc.
Football enjoys a truly gargantuan audience worldwide and remains one of the most lucrative sports to be ever played.
- Cricket- Another sport that has gained a massive fan following is the gentleman’s game, which is cricket. The game enjoys a huge fan following in countries like India, Australia, Bangladesh, etc. Like football, cricket was also developed and codified by the British and was later exported by them to other countries. Cricket is organized worldwide under the regulations of the ICC and its flagship event is the World Cup, which is organized every four years.
A large number of fans follow the game both physically, and online via streaming services or live score updates. Besides the international tournaments, there are a large number of domestic tournaments as well that have gained a lot of popularity in recent years. Tournaments like the Indian Premier League (IPL) or Big Bash League (BBL) have taken the game of cricket to new heights.
- Basketball- The game of basketball is played widely across multiple countries and basketball is a very popular Olympic sport as well. The game is structured to be played on many levels like high school level, college level, and as professionals. The game has gained a particularly high level of popularity in North America, and China, where massive leagues have emerged around basketball. There is a huge fan following for both the men’s and women’s games wherein a large number of fans follow the game physically or online by checking statistics like women’s basketball live scores.
The NBA (National Basketball Association) is one of the largest basketball leagues in the world and an extremely lucrative one at that.
- Hockey- The game of hockey is a collective term for different forms of the game like field hockey, ice hockey, etc. Hockey is a very prominent Olympic sport and is widely played by a large number of people worldwide, especially in Asia, Europe, and North America. A number of very lucrative hockey leagues have been started all over the world and they have successfully attracted fans for a very long period of time. Nowadays, people can witness the sport not only physically but also online via live streams.
- Motorsports- The term motorsports comprises numerous different competitions worldwide. Leagues like Formula 1, MotoGP, NASCAR, Le Mans, WRC, etc are extremely lucrative and popular among millions of people worldwide. The realm of motorsports operates under the supervision of the FIA. The competitions are followed predominantly via mass media since the locations often do not allow for easy access, but a very ardent fanbase does visit these games physically on a regular basis.
These games can be consumed through a large variety of mediums, be it witnessing a live football match in stadiums, watching a live MotoGP race on TV, following basketball via women’s basketball live score, etc. the possibilities are endless.
The world of football is developing at breakneck speeds and with further technological developments, the gap between physically experiencing them at venues and following them from our devices will only keep growing thinner.