First introduced in the UK in the 1980s, the ANPR system has been in use for traffic control and management. A license plate detection system uses high image capture for the identification of number plates as they cross by an infra-red camera. After that, the system matches the number plates with the stored data and checks for information, inconsistencies, and usage based on the application.
Pros of automated number plate recognition (ANPR) systems
ANPR has been installed on many highways and in several cities. Installing it is highly beneficial. Here are some benefits of ANPR systems:
- Surveillance and monitoring – With an ANPR system, there is an elimination of manual number plate recordings. The job of tracking number plates, especially when a vehicle is running, has become easier. An ANPR system records the number plates in real-time and facilitates having a clearer view of traffic insights.
- Video and still footage – In the contemporary world, ANPR systems are capable of capturing both still and video footage. Sophisticated systems can record the number plates when vehicles are at a higher speed, take a wrong turn, or cross a red light signal. The recording is stable under several distinguished camera angles and positions. And it facilitates in lega; counsel.
- Enhanced security – The license plate detection system can make the number of serial traffic offenders. It can assist with reactive security such as forensics, inspections, legal proceedings, and investigations. Further, it can help in the detection of stolen vehicles.
- Less manned surveillance – The automatic number plate recognition system lets traffic police personnel work on the data provided by it and makes them more efficient. The accuracy of this system is very high.
Cons of ANPR systems
Like other technical solutions, ANPR systems come with minor disadvantages. Technicians are working hard to solve the issues the system has now. Here are some cons of the licence plate detection system:
- Not effective in extreme weather conditions – In some cases, like cyclones or heavy rain, or thunderstorms, ANPR systems may not work as effectively as they normally do. In extreme weather conditions, you (concerning authority) may have to switch off the security measures and rely on manned surveillance on highways or city roads.
- Privacy concerns – It is a fact that the images or videos clicked and stored by the ANPR systems can raise some privacy concerns. People fear that their location track can be used for wrongdoings. Further, there is a high risk of data theft. Technical experts state that the automatic number plate system does not infringe a person’s privacy itself.
- Challenges of ANPR software currently facing – At present, the license plate detection system has numerous problems. Non-uniformity in license plate numbers of several different cities and countries. There are length variations in the number plate. To solve it, there should be customization options in the system. Developers need to offer the ANPR systems with customization facilities so that the concerned authority can use the system efficiently in their local city or country without any issues.
Every solution has advantages and disadvantages. So, the license plate detection system has both pros and cons. It depends on authorities and concerned people how they use it. If the stored data is not stolen or misused, the ANPR system will help manage traffic, make traffic plans, and keep the parking space safe.
Leave a Reply